– 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
– 1 egg white
– 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
– 1 Tablespoon dry white wine or sherry
– 4 green onions
– 1 teaspoon minced ginger-root
– 3 teaspoons minced fresh garlic (about 6 medium cloves)
– 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 teaspoon crushed chili paste or more to taste
– 2 teaspoons sugar
– 1 teaspoon cornstarch
– 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
– 1 Tablespoon water
– 2 Tablespoons dry white wine or sherry
– 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
– In small bowl, lightly beat egg white, then mix in 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon wine, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved. Add chicken and mix well to coat all pieces. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
– Slice green onions on the diagonal into very thin slices. Mince ginger-root and garlic. Combine sauce ingredients, mixing well.
– Heat wok or frying pan, add oil, and stir?fry chicken until no longer pink.
– Remove chicken with a slotted spoon. Add onions, ginger and garlic to wok and stir?fry about 30 seconds, until ginger and garlic are fragrant but not brown. Return chicken to wok, re-stir sauce ingredients and add to wok. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is well combined, hot and bubbly and thickens slightly.
– Turn off heat and splash with about 1 teaspoon of dark sesame oil. Serve the hot garlic chicken with white rice.